A D&C or an abortion are safe and simple surgical procedures. A woman’s entire stay with us typically lasts between 2 to 3 hours while the procedure itself usually lasts less than 5 minutes.
Here is an overview of a typical visit:
- Our receptionist will give you medical forms to complete.
- Our counsellor will meet with you privately to review your medical history, answer your questions and discuss any concerns you may have. If you wish, you can discuss future birth control options.
- After changing, you will be taken to the procedure room where you will meet your medical team, consisting of a nurse and a medical doctor. An ultrasound will be performed to determine the stage of your pregnancy.
- You will be given the appropriate intravenous medications to keep you as relaxed and comfortable as possible during your procedure. You will not be put to sleep during the procedure.
- Your doctor will perform an internal pelvic examination to determine the size and position of your uterus. Using this information and the ultrasound information, she will determine the most appropriate procedure for you.
- The procedure itself will take only three to five minutes.
- Following the procedure you will be accompanied to the recovery room by your nurse.
- Within 20-60 minutes, you will likely be ready to leave.The nurse will verify that you are medically stable,answer all your questions and review the post procedure instructions. Should you wish, you will be given information about birth control methods.
Following the procedure, you should be able to eat and drink as normal.
- Please remember that after you leave the clinic we are still available to you. Our clinic physicians are available by phone to address any after-hour emergencies.